Thunder notebook: Serge Ibaka provides big lift
Oklahoma City sends Byron Mullens to Tulsa 66ers
After registering a career-high and Oklahoma City-era franchise record eight blocks Wednesday night at Minnesota, forward Serge Ibaka moved into sole place of third place in blocks per game at 2.44. Ibaka now trails only Milwaukee's Andrew Bogut (2.6) and Minnesota's Darko Milicic (2.67).
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
â€œGuys were getting beat, and he was coming from the weak side and getting great blocks,â€ said Kevin Durant. â€œThat's what we're going to need from him. Even though he's not starting like he did for a couple of games, he's coming off the bench giving us good starter minutes. He's been phenomenal for us on the defensive end, and we're kind of feeding off his energy.â€
Ibaka said his production is improving as he continues learning the game.
â€œWhen he plays with that type of defensive focus, we're better defensively,â€ said Thunder coach Scott Brooks.
MULLENS ASSIGNED TO TULSA
Center Byron Mullens has been sent to the Tulsa 66ers, the Thunder-owned NBA D-League franchise. Mullens, the 24th overall pick in 2009, has averaged just 2.8 minutes in five games this season.
But Mullens' assignment is as much about his long-term development as his short-term situation. The Thunder remains committed to the 7-foot center and views its D-League team as a vital resource for its young players. Mullens made great strides a year ago through time spent in Tulsa. Mullens started and played 27 games for the 66ers last season, averaging 15 points and 7.5 rebounds in 31.5 minutes.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law