Five players to watch
LaceDarius Dunn, Baylor: Suspended early but averaging league-best 21.2 points.
Jacob Pullen, K-State: Preseason Player of the Year can fill up a stat sheet.
Marcus Damon, Missouri: Former sixth man is playing at a very high level.
Alec Burks, Colorado: A few NBA mock drafts have him going in the lottery.
Jordan Hamilton, Texas: Sophomore forward (19.8 average) a first-round pick.
Top five Big 12 games
Jan. 17: Kansas State at Missouri
Jan. 29: Missouri at Texas
Feb. 14: Kansas at Kansas State
Feb. 28: Kansas State at Texas
March 5: Kansas at Missouri
Top five In-state games
Jan. 8: Kansas State at Oklahoma State
Jan. 26: Texas at Oklahoma State
Feb. 2: Missouri at Oklahoma State
Feb. 19: Texas A&M at Oklahoma State
March 5: Oklahoma State at Oklahoma
1. Freshman Josh Selby waited to make his debut but Jayhawks again the team to beat.
2. Jacob Pullen and Curtis Kelly suspensions prevent K-State from building momentum.
3. Led by Canadian freshmen Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph Longhorns are for real.
4. Projected No. 1 or 2 pick in NBA draft, Baylor's Perry Jones averaging only 11.8 points.
5. Hoiberg has the Cyclones playing well. Hilton Coliseum will be tougher than expected.
Five long-term storylines
1. Can the Big 12 send three teams to the Elite Eight, two teams to the Final Four?
2. If Red Raiders finish near the bottom will this be Pat Knight's final season?
3. Is the NCAA snooping around Baylor for possible recruiting violations?
4. Can the Big 12 finish as top-ranked RPI conference for second straight year?
5. With five or six viable candidates, who will win Player of the Year?