The Oklahoman's college football early 2011 preseason Top 25
1. LSU (2010 record: 11-2)
Why No. 1: Les Miles spurned Michigan for a reason. The Tigers bring back 10 starters on offense and eight on defense off an 11-win team that only lost at national champ Auburn and Arkansas.
Videoview all videos
Jan 17Tulsa hired Bill Blankenship as its new head football...
Jan 12Junior quarterback Brandon Weeden and sophomore receiver...
Photoview all 51 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Why too high: The three defensive losses are significant, including Thorpe Award winner Patrick Peterson. Plus, the schedule is brutal and QB play remains a question.
2. Oklahoma (12-2)
Why too low: The Sooners finished 2010 on a roll, Landry Jones will have Ryan Broyles to throw to again and the defense returns eight starters.
Why too high: Leading rusher DeMarco Murray is gone, and the offensive line never really overpowered anyone anyway. Special teams haven't been special, either.
3. Alabama (10-3)
Why too low: The defense should be a load, previewed by its 49-7 throttling of Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl. Mark Ingram is entering the draft, but the run game shouldn't miss a beat at tailback with Trent Richardson.
Why too high: The passing game could struggle. The Tide has to replace QB Greg McElroy and WR Julio Jones.
4. Stanford (12-1)
Why too low: Andrew Luck will be the best QB/player in the country, and the defense should be improved.
Why too high: Jim Harbaugh is now coaching the 49ers, and Stanford must also replace three starting offensive linemen and all-world fullback Owen Marecic.
5. Oregon (12-1)
Why too low: The return of QB Darron Thomas and RB LaMichael James means the Ducks will put up the points again.
Why too high: Oregon loses the bulk of its line and receivers. The defense has also been decimated by graduation, though cornerback/return man Cliff Harris returns.
6. Oklahoma State (11-2)
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister