Oklahoma City police Sgt. Maurice Martinez says allegations of sexual abuse against him are unfounded and the police investigation was botched.
He said he feels like his work as a patrol officer and foster parent have gone down the drain.
“From the get-go, it seems like two-year, rookie cops are actually investigating,” Martinez told The Oklahoman on Thursday. “Security guards could probably do better. Basically, it's a fiasco.”
Martinez, 44, spoke publicly Thursday for the first time since investigators arrested him Jan. 19 on sex abuse complaints. A 16-year-old told women at his church that Martinez had abused him.
Martinez's family gave police a video that purportedly shows the accuser recanting his story, defense attorney Irven Box said.
The video shows a boy saying he lied to investigators when he accused Martinez of abusing him. He said he lied because he was angry and that he regrets his actions.
Martinez criticized authorities investigating the case.
He makes one complaint, and it seems like they completely turned on me. ... It seems like a witch hunt.”
Police Lt. Tim Muzny, the supervisor of the department's sex crimes unit, said Thursday he could not comment on an ongoing investigation. He referred questions to the department's spokesmen, who also said they could not comment.
Box said he has not spoken with Martinez's accuser and neither has the family.
Martinez, who was honored last year as a top foster parent, said he expects to be cleared in the investigation. But he said he is considering legal action against the city once it concludes.
“It has screwed up my life, and it seems like they don't care,” he said.
Martinez has not been charged and remains on paid administrative leave from his job.