Police used a search warrant to seize guns, computers, cameras, cell phones, photographs and bedding from the home of an Oklahoma City police officer arrested on sex crime complaints, according to documents filed in Oklahoma County District Court.
The search warrant return was filed Friday after Oklahoma County District Judge Lisa Davis denied Assistant District Attorney SuAnne Carlson's request to seal it. The judge granted Carlson's request to seal a probable cause affidavit pending a hearing Feb. 25.
Carlson wrote in her request to have the documents sealed that the alleged victim, who ran away from a state Department of Human Services shelter after he was taken into protective custody, fears retaliation because of the case's publicity and “ensuing criticism,” according to court papers.
Carlson also argued that the “extensive media release of information” has caused witnesses to be reluctant to be interviewed.
Investigators arrested police Sgt. Maurice Martinez, 44, of Oklahoma City, on multiple sex crimes complaints Jan. 19 after a 16-year-old boy accused him of sexual abuse. Martinez remains on paid administrative leave from his job as a patrol officer in south Oklahoma City.
Investigators took the photographs, unspecified documents, two desktop computers, a laptop computer, six cell phones, three hand-held cameras, two surveillance cameras, memory cards, a pistol, two rifles, three Sony PlayStation 3 video game systems, bedding and other items from Martinez's home during a multiday search of his south Oklahoma City residence, according to court papers.
What the documents contained and the photographs showed were not detailed. Some of the items were taken to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation forensics laboratory in Edmond.
Martinez's house was burglarized during an overnight break in officers' search of the house last month, despite a patrol officer stationed out front assigned to guard the residence.
Martinez's defense attorney, Irven Box, had said he and his client needed to see the search warrant return to see if any items missing from the home were not listed, because those items could have been taken in the burglary. Box said Monday that all the missing items of significant value were listed in the return, but that Martinez may do an inventory of his house to be sure.
“If you have a home with a lot of rooms, it's kind of hard to remember what was in every room,” Box said.
Box and Martinez's family have said the alleged accuser has recanted his story. The family provided media with a video that purportedly shows the accuser saying he lied. Law enforcement officials have not commented on the video.
Oklahoma County first Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland declined to comment Monday on the case because charges against Martinez have not been filed. Oklahoma City police spokesman Capt. Patrick Stewart also declined to comment because of the ongoing investigation.
Contributing: Staff Writer Nolan Clay