Barry J. Sanders shown on video board at Alabama basketball game
Heritage Hall star running back Barry J. Sanders was shown sitting with Alabama football coach Nick Saban on the video board at a Crimson Tide basketball game.
Editor's note: After a review, the University of Alabama's compliance office has denied that an infraction occurred. The original story, which stated that the university did commit a violation, has been changed to reflect the uncertainty of the possible violation.
Videoview all videos
Feb 12Heritage Hall junior Barry J. Sanders talks about...
Oct 5Barry J. Sanders, the Heritage Hall junior running back,...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The University of Alabama and Heritage Hall running back Barry J. Sanders are once again in the news regarding NCAA violations.
Alabama possibly committed an NCAA violation with Sanders at an Alabama basketball game Saturday night. Sanders was making his second visit to Alabama, this time for the school's junior day.
Sanders is No. 1 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 for the top football recruits for the class of 2012. He has 15 offers and considers Alabama, Florida State, Oklahoma State and UCLA as his four favorites.
During his visit to Alabama, Sanders was shown on the video board during the basketball game, sitting alongside Alabama football coach Nick Saban. Sanders' image prompted Alabama fans to cheer and start a “We Want Barry!” chant in the student section.
It was not a violation for Sanders and Saban to be sitting together at the basketball game. However, putting Sanders' image on the video board is a violation of NCAA rule 13.11.5 that says: “An institution may not introduce a visiting prospect at a function (e.g., the institution's sports award banquet or an intercollegiate athletics contest) that is attended by media representatives or open to the general public.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims