Arrested man spent night with slain Watonga girl's family, officials say
James “Icey” Daukei Jr., 20, was spending the night with the family of Rosalin Reynolds, 8, overnight Tuesday, officials said. Authorities accuse Daukei of killing Rosalin early Wednesday.
WATONGA — The man arrested in the killing of a Watonga second-grader had spent the night in
James “Icey” Daukei, 20, was arrested Wednesday about five hours after the body of Rosalin Reynolds, 8, was found by her father in a field behind their apartment building.
Daukei did not live with Rosalin's family at their apartment at 500 S Leach Ave. but was spending Tuesday night there, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Jessica Brown said
Daukei and Rosalin's mother are cousins, Daukei's mother told The Oklahoman on Wednesday. Efforts to reach her Thursday for further comment were not successful.
Rosalin's father, whose name has not been released, told authorities he saw Daukei run away from his daughter when he found her about 5 a.m. Wednesday.
Daukei remained in the Blaine County jail on Thursday on a murder complaint.
He had not been charged. Blaine County Sheriff Rick Ainsworth said investigators still were conducting interviews and gathering information Thursday.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law