Thunder's Kevin Durant commits to daily Bible reading
Kevin Durant walked into his postgame news conference following the Oklahoma City Thunder's Game 1 victory over Denver and climbed to his seat atop a podium with three things in hand.
Videoview all videos
Apr 21Two games into their first playoff series the Thunder is...
Apr 21Riding high with a 2-0 series lead, Scott Brooks and his...
Apr 21Kevin Durant scored a game-high 23 points and OKC led...
Apr 21Darnell Mayberry and Berry Tramel explain how OKC was...
Photoview all 52 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
His cellphone, a pair of headphones and a Bible.
The first two, Durant has always carried. The third item was included only recently.
For the past 44 days, Durant, the Thunder's two-time All-Star and reigning two-time scoring champ, has become a Bible-toting ballplayer. Since March 8, Durant has read passages each day from the black leather Bible he carries with his name engraved on the front cover.
Durant has been spotted digesting passages at his locker before games, which is not uncommon inside NBA locker rooms. Teammate Serge Ibaka has done the same since he entered the league. The sight of Durant thumbing through the Good Book, though, represents just another reason why many observers have labeled Durant a special kind of superstar.
“I just want to grow spiritually with the Lord,” Durant said. “It's something I always talked about, but I never really got into it.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 98297Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16555OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13177Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8674Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8399Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8073How to help tornado victims
- 7770Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort