Oklahoma House advances bill to create charter school commission
Oklahoma Senate Bill 260 would set up a seven-member charter school sponsoring commission that would establish guidelines for charter schools to offer virtual courses statewide.
Legislation forming a charter school sponsoring commission that would oversee charter schools offering online courses to students statewide barely cleared the House of Representatives on Monday.
The House passed Senate Bill 260 by a vote of 52-42. Bills need at least 51 votes to pass in the 101-member House. The measure now goes to the Senate where it appears headed for a conference committee.
Rep. Lee Denney, the House author of the measure, said the seven-
The virtual courses could be open to students who have missed school because of an illness or an injury and want to make up credits, students who have had trouble in classes, or homeschooled students whose parents may have difficulties instructing certain courses, said Denney, R-Cushing.
“The scenarios are endless,” she said.
“Virtual schools are here,” Denney said. “Our kids get it. ... The Big Chief tablet's gone, the iPad's in.”
Schools embrace idea
Opponents voiced concerns that charter schools offering virtual courses would take money from public schools, but Denney countered by reminding members in her debate that charter schools are sponsored by public schools.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates