Longtime friends remember Austin Box
University of Oklahoma linebacker Austin Box was fun and upbeat, always there for others in a pinch, friends said. Box died Thursday.
Matthew Athey, also a student at the University of Oklahoma, shared memories of his longtime friend and college roommate, football player Austin Box, who died Thursday.
Videoview all videos
May 20Gerald McCoy talks about his former OU teammate Austin Box.
May 19OU's defensive coordinator talks about the OU linebacker...
May 19Austin Box, a linebacker for the University of Oklahoma...
May 19Listen to the 911 call.
Photoview all 24 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“He was always there for me, a good person, a great friend,” Athey said. “There'd be times I'd be down or going through a rough time and he was always the first one there to put his arm around my shoulder, just being there.
“We really didn't need words, it was more a feeling. We were that close.”
Athey said Box “gave it all,” was a hard worker, and never complained.
Enid native Jason Gilbow, who lives in the Oklahoma City metro area, had played in a fantasy football league with Box for a couple of years. He described Box as “fun, upbeat, positive.”
“The cool thing about Austin, he was a starting linebacker for OU and he was just one of the guys,” Gilbow said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims