OKC Thunder's Kevin Durant excited about team's signing of Nazr Mohammed
This time, Kevin Durant wasn't just being a good teammate.
His endorsement and subsequent excitement was genuine.
His explanation had everything to do with winning and winning now.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 24 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
When the Oklahoma City Thunder's star forward learned that Nazr Mohammed would remain with the team after agreeing to a one-year, $3.75 million contract Wednesday, Durant knew immediately how significant of a signing it was.
“I was very glad to see Nazr get signed because I know how hard he works and I know how much he can help us out,” Durant told The Oklahoman on Thursday. “You see guys like Dallas and the Lakers, they have a lot of bigs. That's what we need to contend.”
Although a labor dispute has threatened the 2011-12 NBA season, the Thunder is among three Western Conference teams expected to contend for next year's championship. The Thunder won 55 games and made it to the West Finals last season before losing in five games to the eventual champion Mavericks. The Lakers, who won back-to-back titles in 2009 and 2010, also have been pegged as one of the favorites to win the title.
Durant views Mohammed as a key ingredient in the Thunder's quest. Mohammed will team with starting center Kendrick Perkins and reserves Cole Aldrich and Byron Mullens to form one of the best center rotations in the league.
The Lakers, though, arguably have the best frontline in basketball with center Andrew Bynum and power forward Pau Gasol, as well as versatile forward Lamar Odom coming off the bench. The Mavs, meanwhile, started Tyson Chandler at center last year with Dirk Nowitzki at power forward and Brendan Haywood spelling Chandler.
As the starting center for San Antonio during the 2004-05 season, Mohammed helped the Spurs to a title with averages of 7.1 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.0 blocks in just 23 minutes per game in the 2005 postseason. The Spurs defeated Detroit in seven games in the NBA Finals.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates