Lon Kruger's Florida team bonded on trip to Australia
Team chemistry is a trademark for Lon Kruger teams. Giving him a head start produced the most memorable season of his distinguished career.
Months before Florida made an unexpected run to the 1994 Final Four, the Gators played summer exhibition games for two weeks in Australia.
Videoview all videos
Jul 15Berry Tramel and Damon Fontenot explore Kruger's chances...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“That's when it all started,” said Craig Brown, a senior guard on the '94 team. “We really rolled into preseason with some momentum.”
Coming off a 16-12 season that ended with a first-round NIT loss, national analysts didn't forecast big things for the Gators.
Bolstered by momentum gained during the summer, Florida started the season 14-2.
The Gators finally cracked the national polls in late January. They tied for the SEC East regular-season title and finished as the runner-up in the SEC Tournament.
“We didn't have any superstars or McDonald's All-Americans,” Brown said. “We were just a bunch of guys committed to playing tough, hard defense. We believed in the coaching staff. After we got back (from Australia), we knew we had a chance to have a special season.”
Orlando Magic media relations director Joel Glass was the basketball sports information director when Kruger was at Florida.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater