Hobby Lobby donates California ranch to Rick Warren's church
Hobby Lobby, an Oklahoma-based arts and crafts retailer, is donating a 170-ranch property in California to Rick Warren's Lake Forest, Calif.-based Saddleback Church.
Oklahoma-based Hobby Lobby is donating a 170-acre ranch to a California megachurch led by one of the nation's most prominent ministers.
Tuesday, the national arts and crafts retailer disclosed its donation of the Rancho Capistrano property to Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Calif., where the Rev. Rick Warren is senior pastor.
Warren is renowned for having authored the best-seller “The Purpose-Driven Life,” his international humanitarian initiatives and, in recent years, his mingling with U.S. presidents and other prominent leaders.
Hobby Lobby leaders said that Hobby Lobby has been leasing the ranch property to the church. Saddleback has been using the property as an overnight retreat center for personal renewal, group fellowship and life planning, as well as a pastoral training center and regional church.
The property was a gift in 1981 to Crystal Cathedral Ministries from Donna Crean and her late husband, John, founders of Fleetwood Enterprises. Under Crystal Cathedral Ministries, the ranch provided spiritual outreach through retreats and religious gatherings.
The Crystal Cathedral Ministries board voted to sell the property to Hobby Lobby, which agreed to lease the property to Saddleback.
The ranch is located 12 miles from the main Saddleback Church in Lake Forest.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63590Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38050Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 34916Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12686Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive