What we know about OU after two-a-days
Two-a-days ended on Friday. Classes begin Monday. Five things we learned about the Sooners following 19 two-a-day practices:
1. The Sooners embrace the No. 1 ranking
NewsOK Related Articles
Coach Bob Stoops didn't shy away from high expectations when he announced at the Sooner caravan stop in Oklahoma City “it's about time we won one,” referring to OU capturing its first national title since 2000.
Most players say the preseason No. 1 ranking doesn't mean a thing. To make a run at the BCS title game, players say it's paramount they work hard, with a one-game-at-a-time mindset. The Sooners haven't been overwhelmed by the preseason hype.
2. Corey Nelson will play weakside linebacker
Coaches vowed to get the talented sophomore on the field after he had as good a spring as anyone on the roster. They experimented with Nelson playing strongside linebacker/nickelback, moving Tony Jefferson to free safety.
When veteran Travis Lewis suffered a broken toe early in fall camp, Nelson was moved back to weakside linebacker, the position he played last season. Nelson is so talented he might move to a new position when Lewis returns. While Lewis is out, Nelson will play the position he's most familiar with.
3. OU will go with a running back by committee
We don't know which running back will receive the most carries, but two or three backs, maybe four, will be part of a rotation. Without seeing practice, it's impossible to predict who will start the season opener, but it appears sophomore Brennan Clay, listed No. 1 on the depth chart, will get the nod Sept. 3 against Tulsa.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers