Nichols Hills firefighters try to cope with fire chief's killing
Nichols Hills Assistant Fire Chief Terry Hamilton said the small department of 13 firefighters “has heard from just about every fire chief” in Oklahoma in the wake of the killing of Fire Chief Keith Bryan.
NICHOLS HILLS — Firefighters working the morning shift on Wednesday were flooded with calls of support and gifts in the aftermath of Nichols Hills Fire Chief Keith Bryan's shooting death in Mustang.
Videoview all videos
Sep 24Jim McNabb, pastor at The Bridge Assembly of God in...
Sep 24Hundreds of family, friends and co-workers attend the...
Sep 23Police arrested Rebecca Bryan at a hotel Friday on a...
Sep 22Nichols Hills fire chief Keith Bryan died after a...
Sep 21Police are investigating a home invasion and shooting of...
Photoview all 30 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Assistant Fire Chief Terry Hamilton said the small department of 13 firefighters “has heard from just about every fire chief in the state.”
“We've been getting calls and food and flowers all morning,” Hamilton said. “We've had offers to help from just about every department in the area. But they're firefighters … that's just what they do.”
Hamilton has been named acting chief in the wake of Bryan's death. He said it's too early for the department to think about a permanent successor.
“We're a pretty small department … pretty much like a family,” Hamilton said. “So, yeah, it's too early to think about a long-term replacement at this point.”
Fire Capt. Roger Straka said the department's firefighters are dealing with the reality of Bryan's death — and the manner in which he was killed — as well as can be expected.
“It's definitely been hard on us,” Straka said. “This is a very small department where everybody knows what's going on in each other's lives.”
‘He loved this city
and this community'
Hamilton said he has spoken with Bryan's wife, Rebecca, since the shooting Tuesday night but declined to say what they talked about.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss