Pioneer Library System to buy Borders bookstore building in Norman
The Pioneer Library System will buy the former Borders bookstore property in west Norman to house its administrative offices, Director Anne Masters said.
NORMAN — The Pioneer Library System will buy the former Borders bookstore property in west Norman to house its administrative offices, including its collection system, Director Anne Masters said.
The board of trustees approved the purchase for $1.6 million in a special meeting a week ago, she said.
Money for the purchase of the 25,000-square-foot building will come from the library system's reserve account, Masters said.
Several options are being considered for the use of the building, including using a portion of the building to consolidate administrative offices currently housed in multiple locations, Masters said.
Some of the administrative offices now operate out of the Norman Public Library and others occupy space in the former Hollywood Theater at 1210 McGee Drive, which also serves as the Pioneer Services Center.
The Borders building also may be used as a west Norman library service point, which could allow consolidation of Pioneer-provided library services such as the book box and book lockers currently available at Sooner Mall, Masters said.
“The system has been saving for an opportunity like this. The location, design and architectural features of the former bookstore are ideally suited to the needs of the library system,” Masters said.
The city of Norman has provided space and utilities, other than telephone service, for Pioneer's administrative offices since 1962.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond