OU starting cornerback Jamell Fleming likely out next 2 weeks
University of Oklahoma cornerback Jamell Fleming is expected to miss at least the next two games after having minor knee surgery.
NORMAN — Oklahoma starting cornerback Jamell Fleming is expected to miss Saturday’s game against Texas Tech, and possibly more time, after having minor knee surgery this week, multiple sources said Friday afternoon.
The third-ranked Sooners (6-0) will face the pass-happy Red Raiders (4-2) without Fleming, and the senior could also be sidelined for next week’s game at resurgent Kansas State (6-0) due to what is being described by sources as an arthroscopic procedure.
Sophomore Gabe Lynn is expected to start in Fleming’s absence. Lynn has already appeared in 13 games, starting one this season in a defensive back-heavy package against Missouri. Safety Aaron Colvin also spent most of last season at corner, if more depth is needed.
Fleming, a physical presence at 5-11 and 191 pounds, had started each of the Sooners’ first six games, registering 30 tackles (two for a loss) and three pass deflections.
His signature moment came against Texas. He ripped a ball away from Longhorns receiver Mike Davis, returning it 56 yards for a score that served as an exclamation point in the 55-17 rout. Fleming also finished with 13 tackles in the game, earning national honors for his performance.
As a junior, Fleming started in 13 of the team’s 14 games. He finished with 71 tackles, five interceptions and 14 pass breakups.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes