Oklahoma to unveil Barry Switzer statue Saturday
BARRY SWITZER — The University of Oklahoma will add a Barry Switzer statue to its collection of monuments to its legendary coaches. The Switzer statue will be unveiled in a ceremony at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.
NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma will unveil a statue of former coach Barry Switzer before Saturday's game against Texas A&M to commemorate the Sooners' career coaching victories leader.
Switzer will be the third coach recognized with a statue. Bennie Owen and Bud Wilkinson statues were unveiled last season.
The ceremony will begin at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, east of the Barry Switzer Center and near the Owen and Wilkinson statues.
Switzer won more games than any other coach in school history, compiling a 157-29-4 mark from 1973-88. He was 100-11-1 in conference games. His Sooners won three national championships (1974, 1975, 1985), 12 Big Eight Conference championships and eight bowl games in 13 appearances.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction