Yann Danis' shutout lifts Barons past Charlotte
Yann Danis doesn't plan on implementing any sort of superstitious rituals.
But if the Oklahoma City Barons' goalie keeps up his hot streak, he says he just might retain the raging mustache he's been growing as part of “Movember.”
Behind yet another strong outing by Danis, the Barons squeaked out a 1-0 win over Charlotte on Friday night in an American Hockey League game between division leaders. Danis recorded 30 saves to earn his second shutout of the season and bump the Barons' winning streak to a franchise-record six games.
“I was feeling good again,” Danis said. “I'm seeing the puck well. I got lucky a few times. I think they hit three posts, but when everything's going your way, I got those bounces.”
As the Barons look to continue establishing themselves as a dominant home team, it's been Danis who has led the way. In the Barons' past six home games, Danis has given up only five goals.
On Friday, Danis' performance made up for a rather lackluster overall effort by the Barons, who got the lone goal from Gilbert Brule at 3:44 in the first period.
“That was the difference in the game. That was the game right there in a nutshell,” Barons coach Todd Nelson said of Danis. “I thought we pretty much stole one. … Yann was definitely solid for us. I can't say enough about his play.”
The Barons improved to an AHL-best 10-2-0-1, but Nelson was more concerned with how his team still hasn't put together a quality 60 minutes. On Thursday, Nelson talked about avoiding complacency and maintaining focus throughout the winning streak. And he didn't like what he saw Friday night after watching his team refuse to wake up until the third period following that early goal.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63579Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 37826Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 34889Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12671Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12126Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive