Thunder notebook: Quest for a new collective bargaining agreement also left less time for rookie hazing
The 149-day NBA lockout left little time for preparation and shortened the regular season from 82 games down to 66.
The quest for a new collective bargaining agreement also left less time for rookie hazing.
Videoview all videos
Dec 13Jenni Carlson speaks with Thunder point guard Russell...
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Thunder's rookie hazing is lighthearted, good-natured and details frequently are kept private.
However, evidence is not difficult to spot. For example, Kansas center Cole Aldrich had to tote a "Dora The Explorer" backpack last season. There also was a giant stuffed green frog and his car was filled with packing popcorn.
Royal Ivey was the instigator with Aldrich and it appears Ivey will be in charge of hazing the team's lone rookie, Reggie Jackson.
Confident and already accepted by teammates, Jackson said he's ready for whatever awaits.
"I've got some stuff up my sleeve," Ivey said. "He (Jackson) has been good. Cole was rebellious. He (Jackson) is going to have to do some things, but nothing to the extreme."
Asked who might give Jackson the hardest time, Ivey smiled and said, "Probably (Kendrick) Perk(ins)."
Jackson said Kevin Durant already has made him run a couple of errands, including filling the gas tank of one of Durant's cars.
"Luckily, it wasn't the van," Jackson said.
Other Jackson chores?
"Just make sure we have towels on our chairs before we take showers. That's it," reserve guard Eric Maynor said.
During Media Day at the Chesapeake Energy Arena on Tuesday, several Thunder players cut in front of Jackson at various photo and interview stations.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister