CHOCOLATE CARAMEL SHORTBREAD BARS
Makes 26 bars
11 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon table salt
11.5 ounce bag of milk chocolate morsels
1½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream
½ teaspoon table salt
1½ teaspoons sea salt
• Beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flour and table salt, and beat until combined.
• Press dough evenly into prepared pans and bake until lightly browned, about 25 minutes.
• While dough bakes, make the chocolate caramel. Place chocolate morsels in a medium glass bowl. Heat granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, washing sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to prevent sugar crystals from forming, until amber, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat to add butter, cream and table salt. Return to heat just until boiling, stirring until smooth. Pour over chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes. Stir to combine and let stand until cool, about 10 minutes.
• Pour mixture over crust. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Lift bottoms out of pans to remove entire bar (or lift parchment paper). Sprinkle with sea salt. Cut into bars.
• Bars can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
• Source: Adapted from a Martha Stewart recipe by Alison Estus.