Kevin Durant's 3-pointer at the buzzer gives Thunder win over Mavericks
There were two things Kevin Durant couldn't get out of his mind just before burying the latest clutch bucket of his young career.
One was the costly defensive mistake that had just put his team in a tight spot. The other was the assurance that one of the Oklahoma City Thunder's rookies screamed in his ear.
Photoview all 25 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
After sinking far enough off Dallas guard Vince Carter to allow him to catch a pass and can a 3-pointer from the top of the arc to put the Mavs up one with 1.4 seconds left, Durant walked back to the bench dialed in on doing something good.
“He was focused,” said Thunder coach Scott Brooks of Durant in the ensuing timeout.
Said Durant: “All I remember coming to the bench was Reggie Jackson screaming I was going to make the last shot. I just tried to be confident and tell myself I can make it and luckily I did.”
The play unfolded like so many we saw last season. Durant caught an inbounds pass from Thabo Sefolosha on the right wing. He turned and faced as the clock began to tick. As Durant launched, he flicked his wrist to release a high-arching rainbow over helpless Mavs guard Jason Terry. When it splashed through the net in unison with the sound of the final buzzer, it signaled a 104-102 Thunder win Thursday night at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Durant turned, untucked his jersey and raced in triumph toward his mother who was sitting courtside.
“I had a great angle, and I knew it was right on target. I just didn't know the distance,” Brooks said. “But it looked good from the start.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 101343Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13633Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10711Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 9528OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7731How to help tornado victims
- 7199Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area