HBO presents fascinating profile of former New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath
The 90-minute documentary examines one of the NFL's most colorful performers
HBO takes advantage of the dead weekend heading into Super Bowl week to present a 90-minute documentary on one of the NFL's most colorful performers. “Namath,” which debuts at 8 p.m. Saturday, provides a fascinating profile of former New York Jets quarterback Joe Namath.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Nicknamed “Broadway Joe,” Namath is best known for guaranteeing a Jets' victory over the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III and then backing up his talk with an MVP performance in the Jets' 16-7 victory.
Namath, 68, adds his memories and opinions about his life, which are interspersed with film footage. Also in the documentary is commentary from teammates, rival players and coaches as well as from media members, friends and family members.
“That guy was very important to the game as a cultural icon,” says former Los Angeles Rams defensive end Fred Dryer, Namath's teammate in 1977. “He brought professional football into the television era and with it a whole degree of excitement.”
After a star high school career in Beaver Falls, Pa., he earned national recognition at Alabama (including leading the Crimson Tide to a 17-0 victory over OU in the 1963 Orange Bowl). He signed with the Jets after negotiating an unprecedented deal at the time, including a car and a home for his mother, worth $427,000.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater