Retail growth in Edmond, Oklahoma, is not limited to Interstate 35
Sunflower Farmers Market near downtown and Uptown Grocery Co. near Oak Tree and Coffee Creek additions will soon draw some of the retail development spotlight.
EDMOND — Interstate 35 has gotten most of the attention lately, but Edmond also has other especially bright spots, especially for retail.
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
First, an I-35 recap.
• Integris Health Edmond opened last fall on the east side of the highway north of 15th Street, and another hospital, with Mercy Health System, is under construction cattycorner south of 15th on the west side.
• North of the Mercy Health site, Fox Lake Plaza and Shoppes at Fox Lake, with retail and office space — and a wellness park and trail planned to extend to Arcadia Lake — are under way by Tapp Development Corp.
• To the north, retail, office and a new Francis Tuttle Technology Center are in the works at Covell Road.
Those projects do command people's attention, said Jeff Norman, president of JAH Realty, one of several developers and property brokers presenting information at the recent Edmond Economic Preview. But before long, a few spots west of the interstate will attract the spotlight.
Two spots, one about as old as Edmond itself, the other not that long ago still ranch land, will get to Edmond's heart through its stomach: Sunflower Farmers Market at Second Street and Littler Avenue, just southeast of downtown, and Uptown Grocery Co., southwest of Kelly Avenue and Covell Road.
Boulder, Colo.-based Sunflower is bullish on the Oklahoma City metro area, said Norman, whose company leases the space for the first area Sunflower market at NW 63 and May Avenue, and “they felt like Edmond was the next place to go.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in