OU men's basketball: Sooners fall to Iowa State
IOWA STATE 77, OKLAHOMA 70 — The Cyclones had 15 3-pointers and got their first win in Norman since 1996.
NORMAN — Royce White, Iowa State's leading scorer, attempted only one shot the entire game, a slam dunk with under two minutes left. White still had a huge impact on the Cyclones' 77-70 win over Oklahoma Saturday night in front of 7,055 fans at Lloyd Noble Center.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 16 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
With OU choosing to double-team White, Iowa State's crisp ball movement produced 15 3-pointers, the most surrendered by the Sooners in school history.
“This really was the first time we've seen a team double-team Royce other than a little against Oklahoma State,” said ISU coach Fred Hoiberg. “Lon Kruger is one of the best in the business. I have so much respect for him... I knew he would throw something at us.”
It was a risky strategy considering the Cyclones are the only team in the country with four players that have made 37 or more 3-pointers.
For the season, Iowa State has made 204 long-range shots.
It was the fifth time this season the Cyclones have made more 3-pointers than baskets inside the arc.
“We wanted to give some help on White but not any more that would keep us from getting back to their shooters,” Kruger said. “If you go a little bit too far, you don't have good recovery. We have to do all that better. We didn't handle that as well as we needed to.”
The Cyclones filled it up from long distance from the opening tip, shooting a blistering 72.7 percent on 3-pointers (8-of-11) the first 13 minutes of the game.
ISU drained 10 3-pointers in the first half. White had six assists at halftime, seven for the game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments