Southern Nazarene University student stabbed while trying to help the homeless
Southern Nazarene University students were distributing food to the homeless near Lake Overholser when a man attacked Zachary Smith, 21.
A Southern Nazarene University student was trying to help the homeless when a vagrant man stabbed him near Lake Overholser, police said.
Zachary Smith, 21, was with other students taking food to homeless people when they encountered a man on the west side of Lake Overholser about 7:45 p.m. Saturday, police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said.
The students placed food on the ground near the man, who struck Smith in the head and stabbed him several times, Knight said.
Smith was taken to OU Medical Center where he was treated for wounds and released, hospital spokesman Dennis Gimmel said.
The man who attacked Smith is described as white and in his 40s, Knight said. They did not find him.
SNU officials were contacted by police. They notified Smith's family and helped him get back to campus, SNU spokeswoman Sarah Roberts said.
Roberts released a statement about the incident:
“We are deeply concerned for the students that were involved in this traumatic experience and are most grateful that the injuries sustained were not more serious. The students involved were acting compassionately, as many of our students do on a daily basis, serving the community and meeting human needs as they encounter them.”
Roberts said SNU has counseling available to students who may need it. The students were not involved in a sponsored SNU activity when the attack happened, she said.
Anyone with information about the attack can call Crime Stoppers at 235-7300.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit