Class 3A boys basketball: Kingfisher falls to Victory Christian, eliminated from playoffs
VICTORY CHRISTIAN 33, KINGFISHER 30 — Kingfisher's Grant Newton missed a tough mid-range shot with 10 second remaining that would have given the Yellow Jackets the lead. Instead, Victory Christian's Jeffrey Jordan hit two free throws to seal the Conquerors victory.
BETHANY – Victory Christian advanced Thursday afternoon to the Class 3A semifinals, even if Kingfisher made it difficult on the Conquerors.
Photoview all 7 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Victory Christian trailed by a point when freshman guard Chris Crawford drove to the basket with 35 seconds remaining to give his team the lead for good. Two free throws in the final seconds by Jeffrey Jordan sealed a 33-30 win inside Southern Nazarene's Sawyer Center.
Crawford had 10 points for the Conquerors (26-4), who will play the Washington-Sperry winner at 4:30 p.m. Friday at the Big House.
Kingfisher's Grant Newton missed a tough mid-range shot with 10 seconds remaining that would have given the Yellow Jackets the lead. After Jordan's free throws, Keaton Ely just missed a 3-point attempt at the buzzer that would have tied the game.
Ely had already made two 3's in the final 4:11 as part of an 11-2 Jackets run. Bryce Hyatt also made a pair of 3-pointers in the fourth quarter, helping Kingfisher (15-11) get back into the game after scoring only 16 points in the first three quarters. Hyatt finished with a team-high 14 points.
Slowing the game, though, appeared to be the Jackets' primary plan against the deeper and more athletic Conquerors.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims