Interest groups protest Obama's support for Oklahoma-Texas pipeline
Various groups on Thursday protested President Barack Obama's speech at a pipe yard near Cushing.
CUSHING — President Barack Obama's speech near Cushing on Thursday drew strong opinions and protests from a variety of interest groups.
Videoview all videos
Mar 22What did we learn from the President's speech, and what...
Mar 22Watch President Barack Obama's remarks he made in...
Mar 22Two supporters for President Barack Obama voice their...
Mar 22President Obama visited Oklahoma to discuss his...
Mar 22State Rep. James Lockhart today thanked the White House...
Mar 21Mayor Mick Cornett talks about the president's first trip...
Mar 20The impending arrival of President Barack Obama is one of...
Photoview all 79 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Crowds along the motorcade route held signs with a variety of messages including “Drill, baby, drill,” “Oklahomans for Obama,” “Stop Keystone” and “Tar Sands are Toxic.”
Americans for Prosperity opposed the president for his efforts to promote renewable energy with tax credits and other incentives at the expense of the oil and natural gas industry.
“The truth is the Obama administration has repeatedly blocked domestic energy production, vilified the oil and gas industry and actually cheered the rise of fuel prices,” AFP President Tim Phillips said. AFP activists held signs and rallied in Cushing while the president gave his speech.
The Domestic Energy Producers Alliance had a similar message.
“President Obama's message of support for the oil industry is completely disingenuous because he has spent three years discouraging oil production,” said Mike Cantrell, Oklahoma oilman and member of the producers alliance. “He stands up there and takes credit for the things the private sector has done without him.”
While some protesters said the president is not providing enough support to the oil and natural gas industry, others criticized the president for relying too heavily on fossil fuels in his energy agenda.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister