Girls basketball Super 5: Lakota Beatty, Anadarko finally get by Vinita
After falling to Vinita for four straight years, Lakota Beatty and the Warriors toppled them this year and went on to win a state title.
ANADARKO — The streak started when Lakota Beatty was a seventh grader.
Anadarko was beaten out of the girls basketball playoffs by Vinita four straight years. But Beatty and the Warriors finally toppled Vinita in the Class 4A semifinals this year, and went on to win the state title a day later.
Videoview all videos
Mar 31Courtney Walker is once again The Oklahoman's Super 5...
Mar 31Fairview Basketball Coach Mike Barton is the 2012 Super 5...
Mar 31Taylor Cooper led Bethel to the Class 3A state title as a...
Mar 31Alie Decker averaged 15.8 points per game and led Edmond...
Mar 31Kelsee Grovey averaged 13.5 points per game in leading...
Mar 31Junior Lakota Beatty averaged 18.6 points and led...
Photoview all 43 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“It felt like that was a very important milestone in my life,” Beatty said of beating Vinita. “I felt like that was the championship game.”
Beatty averaged 18.6 points and 5 rebounds per game as a junior and has established herself as one of the top state college prospects for the class of 2013. She already has offers from Oral Roberts and Tulsa, and Arkansas, Fresno State and Oklahoma State are showing strong interest.
Beatty will visit Stillwater on Monday, but she said she'd really like to play out of state.
The championship was particularly meaningful for Beatty because she was able to share it with her sister. Freshman Ashley Beatty played a key role on the team, and Lakota said hoops has brought them closer.
“I feel really comfortable when she's on the court with me,” Lakota Beatty said. “I love playing with her.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13429Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13120OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7569Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5530Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5367Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?