Girls basketball Super 5: Alie Decker appreciates Edmond Memorial's year of improvement
Her senior season didn't end with a title, but Alie Decker saw her team improve drastically throughout the season.
EDMOND — Now that she's had some distance, Alie Decker sees Edmond Memorial's state championship game appearance as a blessing.
The forward and Oklahoman Super 5 team member saw her team make drastic improvements throughout her senior season, and it almost ended with a title.
Videoview all videos
Mar 31Courtney Walker is once again The Oklahoman's Super 5...
Mar 31Fairview Basketball Coach Mike Barton is the 2012 Super 5...
Mar 31Taylor Cooper led Bethel to the Class 3A state title as a...
Mar 31Alie Decker averaged 15.8 points per game and led Edmond...
Mar 31Kelsee Grovey averaged 13.5 points per game in leading...
Mar 31Junior Lakota Beatty averaged 18.6 points and led...
Photoview all 43 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Decker's potential game-winner was blocked by Edmond Santa Fe's Courtney Walker with under 10 seconds left in the Bulldogs' title-game loss.
“Many times,” Decker said of how often she replays that moment in her mind.
“There were a lot of things we could've done different, but you can't take it back.”
Edmond Memorial's state championship game appearance was its first since 1922, and Decker, who leaves as the school's all-time leading scorer, was vital to the Bulldogs' chances. Not only because of her skills, but because of her ability to adapt.
Decker was and still is very close to former Edmond Memorial coach Shane Coffey, who left after Decker's junior year to become an assistant at the University of Tulsa. So when new coach Dandy Peeler was hired, things weren't easy.
“It was really hard at first, because you're used to one coach for three years,” Decker said. “But Coach Peeler and I got to know each other and our relationship started growing, and it started to feel really natural.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments