Ammonia fumes at Oklahoma food plant sicken four

Firefighters were called about 8:30 p.m. to Vaughan Foods, Inc., 216 NE 12, to check for the fumes which sickened the employees, Moore Deputy Fire Chief Gary Bird said.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Published: April 1, 2012
Advertisement
;

— One person was hospitalized and three more treated at the scene Sunday night when ammonia fumes caused them to fall ill at a Moore food plant, authorities said.

Firefighters were called about 8:30 p.m. to Vaughan Foods, Inc., 216 NE 12, to check for the fumes which sickened the employees, Moore Deputy Fire Chief Gary Bird said.

The building was evacuated and the cause was determined to be an outdoor container with an ammonia product used for cleaning and refrigeration, Bird said. The fumes were blown into the building by winds from the south.

The person who was hospitalized was conscious and responsive, but was hospitalized as a precaution because of a breathing issue, he said.

Crews were expected to be at the scene for several more hours, Bird said.


NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.