Big 12 baseball: Bedlam breakfast draws estimated 3,000
As Oklahoma State coach Frank Anderson entered the interview room following a dramatic 1-0 Sooners win in the Big 12 Tournament opener – as in 9 a.m. opener – he suggested the game was more worthy of prime-time positioning.
NewsOK Related Articles
“Should have been a 7 o'clock game,” Anderson said. “That's a game people should have seen.”
The tournament bracket fixes game times according to seeding, which placed the No. 4 Sooners and No. 5 Cowboys in the 9 a.m. slot. But there were discussions about moving the Bedlam matchup to accommodate the local working class – to no avail.
The official attendance for the game was listed at 4,429, which reflects tickets sold. Crowd estimates put the actual attendance at 3,000.
Those at The Brick were treated to a pitching delight, with OSU's Andrew Heaney battling the OU duo of Dillon Overton and Steven Okert through 8 1/2 scoreless innings. There were 18 combined strikeouts, several defensive gems and a walk-off homer by the Sooners' Garrett Carey.
“That game right there,” Anderson said, “9 o'clock in the morning, are you kidding me? That's one of the best games ever in this tournament.”
OU coach Sunny Golloway didn't disagree.
“You're going to be hard-pressed to go back and find a (better) duel of quality pitches,” Golloway said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims