Big 12 baseball: OU's Matt Oberste takes advantage of opportunity
Matt Oberste hit two home runs during OU's 7-2 win over Baylor and leading the Sooners into Sunday's championship game.
Brought to Oklahoma for his pure power, Matt Oberste has seen limited playing time during an inconsistent opening season.
But that rare ability to hit the long ball always kept him as an appealing option to stick in the lineup.
Photoview all 13 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
On Saturday, Sunny Golloway finally pulled the trigger, giving Oberste his first start of this week's Big 12 Baseball Tournament.
And the slugger delivered, mashing two mammoth home runs out of Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark during OU's 7-2 win over Baylor and leading the Sooners into Sunday's championship game.
“Today was his day, based on who was on the mound,” Golloway said. “We felt like it was going to be a good matchup and in this ballpark, a great matchup.”
It started in the second inning, after Jack Mayfield and Caleb Bushyhead hit back-to-back doubles to give OU a 1-0 lead.
Oberste, facing Baylor righty Joey Hainsfurther, launched a hanging slider out of the stadium, bouncing it around in the alley past the left-field bleachers.
Reportedly irked by some chirping from the Baylor dugout, Oberste made it a point to admire his moonshot — complete with a slow walk and stylish bat flip.
“They were offended by some of the stuff they heard out of our dugout (on Thursday),” BU coach Steve Smith said. “And they let him know about it.”
Because of his post-home run antics, Oberste was expecting retaliation during his at-bat in the fourth.
“I felt like he was probably going to hit me,” Oberste said. “But I couldn't dwell on that.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments