WCWS: Arizona State holds on for win over Oregon
The Sun Devils advanced to take on Alabama at 8:30 p.m. Friday.
Arizona State took a one-run lead in the bottom of the first and held on to defeat Oregon 3-1 Thursday night at ASA Hall of Fame Stadium.
Oregon lead-off hitter Samantha Pappas doubled to open the game and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. She forgot to tag third base before sprinting home and potentially scoring the first run of the ball game and was called out.
NewsOK Related Articles
The Sun Devils will take on Alabama at 8:30 p.m. Friday. Alabama opened the WCWS with a 5-3 victory against SEC rival Tennessee. Arizona State (52-9) pitcher Dallas Escobedo gave up just five hits and struck out four in the game.
Oregon (44-17) surged in the top of the seventh, scoring its only run but failed to capitalize on its momentum when Arizona State third basemen Haley Steele flashed the leather on a line drive shot and doubled up a Ducks runner on third base.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena