H: ° L: °,
Sprint car racing: Oklahoma City driver Andy Shouse finishes second to Travis Rilat
Rilat takes the lead on the 16th lap during a Red River Rumble card at Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite, Texas
Travis Rilat passed Oklahoma City driver Andy Shouse on the 16th of 25 scheduled laps late Saturday night and held on to win the second Red River Rumble sprint car race of the season. The American Sprint Car Series-sanctioned race at the Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite, Texas, featured some of the best sprint car drivers from the Lone Star and Sooner states.
With two Red River Rumble race cards remaining — July 21 at Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale, Texas, and July 28 at Lawton Speedway — Rilat and Glenpool driver Matt Covington are tied for first place with 280 standings points. The champion at the end of the series gives his state bragging rights, which might be worth more than the $500 bonus from sponsors.
Rilat, of Forney, Texas, held off a pack of Oklahomans during Saturday night's feature race. Behind runner-up Shouse were Danny Jennings of Norman, Covington and defending ASCS Sooner Region champion Joe Wood Jr. of Oklahoma City. A total of 24 cars started the feature.
BACON WINS MIDGET RACE
Broken Arrow driver Brady Bacon moved in front with two laps remaining Saturday night and won the 60th annual Lucas Oil Center Hut Hundred midget sprint car race at Tri-State Speedway in Haubstadt, Ind. Bacon, a 23-year-old who often runs on the American Sprint Car Series' National Tour, took over when the car driven by previous leader Jerry Coons Jr. sustained suspension damage.
The Hut Hundred is considered in the racing world as one of the most prestigious open-wheel events. Coons, a multi-time champion on the U.S. Auto Club circuit, said Bacon's victory “is definitely one you want to put on your resume.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister