Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Trend for shorts this summer is simple, sexy
By Linda Miller | Published: June 4, 2012 | Modified: June 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm
It's no surprise that shorts have found their place in the sun, but what is a little unexpected — and appreciated — is all the colors, prints and styles.
Call it shorts gone wild.
Playful stripes hang with sexy lace. Short-shorts offer an alternative to long and lean. Florals and colors are bold and bright.
“Shorts are a summer staple, and this season they can take you almost anywhere — dressed up or down, from casual brights to feminine lace and even tailored styles paired with a blazer,” said Melissa Merriman, regional communications director for Dillard's.
For those who like the color block trend, she suggests pairing vibrant shorts with a coordinating solid top. Consider orange with blue or yellow with green.
Going bold gets you extra style points. “You can pull the look together with multicolor flats or wedges and fun accessories,” Merriman said.
Feminine details, including lace and ruffles, continue to make a strong statement this season, even on shorts. “Eyelet or lace shorts are the ultimate in femininity and look great for a more dressy style, so add a chic blouse and a pair of nude heels for a finished look,” Merriman said.
While shorts often are casual and fun, they can also be sophisticated. “A longer, more tailored style, even with a fun pattern like stripes, looks great when paired with a blazer,” she said. Don't hesitate to add a blazer to shorter styles either, and then finish the look with platform wedges or heels.
Karen Marquis, owner of Kokopelli in the Shoppes at Northpark, said it was time for shorts to come on strong again.