OSU basketball: Point guard Kirby Gardner signs with Cowboys
The Oklahoma State basketball team has added depth to its most questionable position. Junior college point guard Kirby Gardner signed with the Cowboys on Saturday afternoon, becoming the fourth commit of the 2012 class.
The Oklahoma State basketball team has added depth to its most questionable position.
Junior college point guard Kirby Gardner signed with the Cowboys on Saturday afternoon, becoming the fourth commit of the 2012 class. His signing was first reported by PrecinctReporter.com.
Gardner played at San Bernardino Valley College in California last season, averaging 17.2 points per game, shooting 86 percent from the free-throw line and winning the Foothill Conference MVP.
Gardner provides depth at both guard positions, but will be especially valuable at point guard.
With the departure of Keiton Page, a true shooting guard who started at point last season, the Cowboys have been searching for help at the position.
Junior Markel Brown, sophomore Cezar Guerrero and incoming freshman Marcus Smart are all expected to see time at the point. As recently as last month, coach Travis Ford said he didn't need to add another player, but would if the right one came along.
Gardner, an unranked prospect whose commitment to OSU was a slight surprise, joins an impressive class that includes Smart, the five-star crown jewel of the group, Phil Forte and Kamari Murphy.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation