OKC Thunder loses second-round pick to Boston
NBA awards Celtics pick as punishment for withholding information about Jeff Green before trade last year.
The Thunder has been forced to send a future second-round draft pick to Boston as punishment for withholding information about Jeff Green's medical condition at the time of last year's trade that brought Kendrick Perkins to Oklahoma City.
Videoview all videos
Jun 26The NBA has taken away a second round draft pick of the...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The NBA announced Tuesday that Commissioner David Stern “found that there was no evidence of bad faith or any intent to withhold information on the part of Thunder management or its physicians.” But the league awarded Boston a future second-round pick from the Thunder because “Oklahoma City's cardiologists were in possession of information about Jeff Green that was not shared with Thunder management and that should have been disclosed to the Celtics in connection with the trade of Green in February 2011.”
Yahoo! Sports, which first reported the ruling, reports that the Thunder will send Boston the 2013 second-round pick it acquired from Charlotte in the trade that sent Byron Mullens to the Bobcats. That pick could potentially be the first pick of the second round, the 31st overall selection.
In addition to Green, the Thunder also sent Nenad Krstic and a first-round pick to Boston in exchange for Perkins and Nate Robinson. Green played the last half of the 2010-11 season with the Celtics. But just before the start of the 2011-12 season, Green was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm, a condition that required surgery that cost him the entire year.
“Under NBA rules, teams are required to disclose to each other in connection with trades any information in their possession or control about a player's prior injuries, illnesses, or other health conditions that could affect the player's ability to play NBA basketball at any point in the future,” the NBA's statement read.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister