Oklahoma City nun celebrates her 100th birthday
An Oklahoma City nun, Sister Mary Clotilda Toelle, celebrated her 100th birthday on Wednesday with a party at the Sisters of Mercy convent on the Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City campus.
An Oklahoma City nun celebrated her 100th birthday Wednesday during a party held at the Sisters of Mercy convent adjacent to Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City.
Friends and family members joined Leona Lucille Marie Toelle, known as Sister Mary Clotilda, to mark her milestone birthday.
Toelle was born in Missouri and traveled with her family to Canute by train. She was a student at Mount St. Mary Academy in Oklahoma City when she decided at age 16 to join the Sisters of Mercy religious order. Toelle spent more than 60 years teaching religion, history and government at Catholic schools in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas.
Toelle lives at the Sisters of Mercy convent and enjoys playing Scrabble and cards and assembling complex jigsaw puzzles.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley