Oklahoma scene: Tony Allen to hold basketball camp at OSU
Tony Allen will be back in Gallagher-Iba Arena next week, playing basketball on the court where he once starred.
But this time, Allen will be joined by more than 100 kids, coaching them through his youth basketball camp that runs July 18-20 in Stillwater. The three-day event, known as the Grit and Grind Basketball Skills Academy, costs $150, with all profits going to charity.
On his site, Allen says the camp “will assist in the development of boys and girls with their basketball skills — shooting, passing, dribbling, rebounding and defense.”
It is open to children between the ages of 10-17, with lunch provided each day. Allen will be there throughout, providing instructions and holding an autograph session.
Keith “Shot Doc” Veney, a renowned basketball trainer who specializes in correcting the jumper, will assist Allen.
The camp runs from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. every day, with registration starting at 8:30 a.m. For more information, call (312) 371-7793 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sharp on Groza watch list
Oklahoma State's Quinn Sharp is on the preseason watch list for the Lou Groza Award, presented to the nation's top kicker. Sharp was a first-team All-American and the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year in 2011.
Donovan joins OCU team
Jamil Donovan of Northwest Classen will play men's basketball at Oklahoma City University.
Donovan, a 5-foot-9 guard, averaged 16.4 points a game as a senior and was an honorable-mention selection on The Oklahoman's All-State and Big All-City squads.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed