Oklahoma County judge grants extension to keep suspect jailed in Carina Saunders slaying
Citing new evidence in the Carina Saunders slaying investigation, prosecutors have received more time to charge the only person jailed in her slaying, court papers show.
Videoview all videos
Feb 25Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater has filed...
Aug 15The state medical examiner released a copy of Carina...
Jul 23District attorney charges two men in death of woman whose...
Jul 10Bethany detectives identify a woman thought to have a...
Photoview all 18 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater filed a 10-day extension July 13 on behalf of Bethany police to give detectives more time to prepare their case against Luis E. Ruiz.
District Judge Donald Deason granted the extension, giving prosecutors until Monday to charge Ruiz with a crime or release him from custody.
Ruiz, 37, of Oklahoma City, was arrested July 5 on a murder complaint in the death of Saunders, a 19-year-old Mustang woman whose dismembered body was found in a duffel bag in Bethany in late 2011.
Bethany police Detective Austin Warfield requested the extension “due to the enormity of the case and new evidence that has arisen,” according to a court document filed Monday.
“New information has been attained and (we are) in the process of committing that info to reports,” Warfield wrote in the document.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister