Veterans' monument is completed in Norman
A bronze memorial to veterans that was made at The Crucible Foundry in Norman will soon be taken to Minnesota.
NORMAN — A bronze sculpture destined for Veteran's Park in Virginia, Minn., has been completed at The Crucible Foundry, 110 E Tonhawa St.
“Shoulder to Shoulder Even the Fallen Stand Tall” by artist Gareth Andrews depicts life-size military figures of varied ethnic backgrounds in front of a larger-than-life eagle. The men and women portrayed in the memorial represent all five branches of the United States armed forces and their affiliated women's corps.
The various figures also represent different military conflicts, including all five major wars of the 20th century in which the United States played a prominent role, beginning with World War I and extending through the Gulf War.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister