Shawnee festival honored as outstanding event in central Oklahoma
SHAWNEE -- Arts Trek 2012, the third annual arts festival held at the Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art, has been honored as Outstanding Event or Festival by the Central Oklahoma Frontier Country Marketing Association.
The award came during the organization's Annual Meeting and Awards Luncheon, June 21, at the Devon Boathouse in Oklahoma City.
Arts Trek was held April 21 at the museum and on the grounds of St. Gregory's University and St. Gregory's Abbey. More than 2,000 people attended the event which featured a performance walk combined with an arts festival.
More than 40 artists had booths and created art on site. More than 60 volunteers from 21 Helping Hands Sponsors (local organizations and businesses) offered 25 free art projects and activities for visitors.
Visitors also were treated to 19 performances by local and far flung theatrical, dance, spoken word, and musical performance artists.
"Though the Museum is honored to have received this recognition for Arts Trek," said event organizer Donna Merkt, "the award really belongs to the whole community.
Arts Trek is a community endeavor. The event is only possible due to the 150-plus volunteers and Helping Hands Sponsors who work diligently to plan and man the event and to the incredible Event Sponsors who generously support the event."
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims