OU football: Bob Stoops would like interaction with players during summer
OU coach is not allowed to speak with players about injury rehabilitation, summer school
NORMAN — Lon Kruger has praised a new NCAA measure allowing basketball coaches time to work with players enrolled in summer school.
Up to two hours a day, eight hours a week, Kruger can condition his players and, on a limited basis, even run on-court drills with them.
Videoview all videos
Jul 23Landry Jones may be back for his senior season, but after...
Jul 23Berry Tramel talks with OU head coach Bob Stoops about...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Even more importantly, perhaps, than working with them is that ability to be around them,” Kruger said in June. “Especially with the new guys coming in, to establish that relationship and maintain that contact consistency throughout the summer.”
He spent time with his newcomers, got to know them and could keep an eye on them. Scrimmages are kept more structured, as opposed to pickup games.
Football coach Bob Stoops, on the other hand, remains barred from working with his team during the summer months. Workouts with the strength staff are voluntary, and football activities like 7-on-7 drills and passing trees are organized by the players themselves.
As a result, Stoops was unable to answer questions at Big 12 Media Days regarding any progress made by his young receivers, who the Sooners will likely be forced to rely on after the suspensions of three returning starters.
“We're going to have to see, because we're not able to work with the players in the summer,” Stoops said. “And a lot of these guys are new; some of the young high school receivers we have in, and then with the addition of some junior-college guys.”
Running back Dominique Whaley, who was starting and excelling last season before a severe ankle injury, has been cleared and is running. But Stoops hasn't been able to keep close tabs on his recovery.
“He's out there running and training and I'm not able to work with him,” Stoops said. “So it's a little bit tough.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M