Letter of the month winner: C Dale German of Bethany
Each month, The Oklahoman's editorial board recognizes a contributor to Your Views for a letter to the editor that exemplifies a timely, fair, accurate and cogent viewpoint. C. Dale German of Bethany is the honoree for letters that appeared in Your Views last month. His “Foundational to faith” letter was published July 20.
NewsOK Related Articles
Meet the writer:
C. Dale German is a graduate of Southern Nazarene University, Nazarene Theological Seminary, and San Francisco Theological Seminary. German, 70, is a retired pastor in the Church of the Nazarene having served in Texas, Arizona, California and Oregon. He also taught at Nazarene Theological College in Brisbane, Australia. Currently he is employed as an Oklahoma City Ambassador. You can find him driving water taxi boats on Bricktown Canal.
I'm not a scientist, but as a theologically schooled retired pastor I'd like to broaden “A matter of faith vs. reason” (ScissorTales, July 14). Detection of the Higgs boson is an amazingly intriguing scientific advance. May it yield ever more clues of the origin of matter! My comment has to do with the notion that faith and reason are incompatible. Reason is foundational to faith. Reason gives substance to faith. Faith without reason could become belief in total nonsense.
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63579Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 37826Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 34889Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12671Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12126Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive