Cooking contests highlights 98th Oklahoma County Free Fair
Residents who are proud of a particular homemade ice cream recipe, their own special salsa, or even a favorite pie recipe are invited to enter one of several special cooking contests being held at the 98th annual Oklahoma County Free Fair, scheduled for Aug. 23-25 at the Oklahoma State Fair Park.
Both the “Saucy Salsa” and “Ice Cream Freeze Off” contests will be judged at 6 p.m. Friday, August 24, in the Centennial Building. The pie baking event and judging will be held Saturday, August 25, at 10:30 a.m.
Youth of all ages can also take part in their own special contest during the “Ice Cream Sundae” competition held on Saturday, Aug. 25, at 9:30 a.m. Children of all ages (up to 19) will bring their own containers and toppings to decorate their scoops of ice cream as they make their very best ice cream sundae to compete for the “Champion Sundae Maker” title.
The Oklahoma County Free Fair also offers many different categories for baked goods, jams, jellies and other food products.
“This is a good opportunity for anyone who likes to cook, and compete, to come out and take part in one or more of these contests,” commented LaDonna Dunlop, Oklahoma County OSU Cooperative Extension Director and a Registered Dietitian.
In addition to blue ribbons, the cooking contests also offer prize money. A first place in the “Ice Cream Freeze Off” wins the contestant $50, second place $40, third place $30, fourth $20 and fifth $20.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad