High school football: Westmoore's Jhames West back at natural position of quarterback
After Westmoore quarterback Trevor Thompson graduated last year, there was no doubt in Billy Langford's mind who he wanted at quarterback: Jhames West.
After Westmoore quarterback Trevor Thompson graduated last year, there was no doubt in Billy Langford's mind who he wanted at quarterback.
More than a year after he moved Jhames West from quarterback to receiver, Langford asked West to move back to his natural position.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“He wants the ball in his hands,” Langford said. “There's so many things he can do when plays break down and him making me look like a superstar play-caller when he makes things happen with his feet.”
For West, moving back has been a comforting experience, though he said practices have ramped up in intensity.
“It's interesting,” West said. “There's a lot more to do in practices now. Before, they'd sometimes be a little bit boring. Now, though, there's plenty to work on.”
As a sophomore, West was the Jaguars' best read-option quarterback, but Thompson edged him out, Langford said.
Later that year, West transitioned to receiver when an injury necessitated the move. That position is likely where West will play in college.
Since moving back, though, West sees the game differently.
“When I was a sophomore back here, everything was super-fast,” he said. “Everything looked cluttered in my head when I was out there. Now, things are moving a whole lot slower for me.
“That's such an advantage right now.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 80469Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30097Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29530Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 25550Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7945Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7267Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7260Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday