Osage County leads Oklahoma deer kill numbers from 2011-12 season
Outdoors notebook: Arcadia Lake deer hunts drawing Wednesday; mule deer group organizes in Oklahoma; bass tournament Sept. 29 at Lake Eufaula; Edmond Goblers banquet Aug. 25; Quail Forever banquet Aug. 25; early Oklahoma quail forecast positive
The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation last week released the number of deer taken by hunters during the 2011-12 deer hunting seasons and the total was 112,863.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
For the fifth straight year, more deer were killed in mammoth Osage County than any other with 5,118.
Pittsburg County, which has been second or third the past four years in deer harvest, was second again with a total of 3,765.
The rest of the top 10 counties in 2011-12 were Atoka (3,380), Pushmataha (3,309), Cherokee (3,293), Creek (2,934), Sequoyah (2,848), Le Flore (2,722), Craig (2,709), and McCurtain (2,363).
Cherokee County, however, was the most prolific deer hunting county based on number of deer killed per square mile (4.24 deer).
Arcadia Lake deer hunts
The drawing for archery deer hunts at Arcadia Lake will be Wednesday at 1 p.m. at the Arcadia Lake Park Office, 9000 E. Second.
Deadline to apply is noon on Wednesday. Applications can be downloaded at www.arcadialakeok.com or picked up at the park office.
Cost is $50 per hunter for a four-day hunt. Any hunts not selected will go on sale immediately after the drawing.
For more information, call 216-7481.
Mule deer group organizes in Oklahoma
The newly formed Oklahoma Mule Deer Foundation will meet Aug. 21 at the H&H Shooting Sports Complex in Oklahoma City.
The meeting begins at 7 p.m. The goal of the group is to improve mule deer habitat in western Oklahoma.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6211Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5407Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4993Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4408OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3817Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law