Vandals shoot paintballs at OKC mosque
Early Sunday, vandals shot paintballs at the doors of the Grand Mosque of Oklahoma City. The mosque's imam said the crime was caught on surveillance video.
The Grand Mosque of Oklahoma City was fired upon by paintballs early Sunday, and the vandals fled the scene before they were apprehended.
About 2:45 a.m., the vandals pulled into the parking lot of the Grand Mosque, 3201 NW 48, and fired upon the building's doors, Hassan Ahmed, the mosque's imam and director said.
Videoview all videos
Aug 12Early Sunday, vandals shot paintballs at the doors of the...
Photoview all photos
“A car pulled here in front of the main entrance and started shooting paintball guns, but at the time, I didn't know it was that. I thought it was bullets they were shooting into the building. And I could hear when I was coming from the house, but before I reached there, they were gone,” Ahmed said.
Police arrived a few minutes later, but by that time, the vandals were gone.
The paint splatter was removed early Sunday, and it doesn't appear that any further damage was done to the building, Ahmed said.
“I'm speechless. I cannot believe this is occurring in Oklahoma, where diversity and religious tolerance is always there,” he said.
The incident was captured on surveillance video, which has already been given to the police. Police had added extra patrols, and Ahmed is thinking about hiring security officers.
“And you know the only concern now we have is the upcoming holiday on Sunday ... . We are expecting over a thousand people to worship here and celebrate the end of Ramadan,” he said.
No further information was available from Oklahoma City police on Sunday.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion