Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients
Make a colorful splash in the hottest back-to-school styles
By Heather Warlick
| Published: August 14, 2012
It may technically still be summer outside, but all eyes are on fall as back-to-school fashion takes center stage.
Many of fall's hottest styles for kids are miniature versions of the looks their teenage siblings and even their young, hip parents have been rocking for a couple of seasons.
“It seems like things start out in the adult market,” said Kelly Smith, owner of Keedo Kids Clothes at the Shoppes at Northpark. “If styles make it and look like they're going to be a trend, they trickle down into the younger kids' market.”
Girls eye colorful jeans
For girls, the first day of school will feature a rainbow of colorful skinny jeans, Smith said.
Just like their teenage big sisters, elementary school-age girls are itching for colorful skinny jeans this season, a trend that has been popular since fall 2011.
But for little girls, the jeans aren't as skintight as they are for their big sisters. At Uptown Kids in Classen Curve, you can even find straight-leg colorful jeans, in addition to the skinny-at-the-ankle style.
“The colors are all over the board,” Smith said. In jeans, the rule seems to be the brighter, the better. For summer, yellow, turquoise, white and pink were the rage. For fall, skinny jeans will take on hues including teal, brick red, purple and orange.
Boys this season will take a style tip from Manny, the sharp-dressed youth from TV's “Modern Family.” From hats to blazers, a strong trend for boys is to look rugged yet tailored and put-together.
“ ‘Little man' is totally the big trend,” said Carolyn Goldman, owner of Uptown Kids in Classen Curve.